Saturday, July 20, 2013

Creamy Jalapeño Salsa: Krazy Good Green Sauce



This is a creamy jalapeño salsa.

El Regio and El Pollo Rico in Austin, Texas are two Monterrey (that's Nuevo León, México Monterrey) style rotisserie chicken places. They serve this krazy good green sauce there. Theirs is just boiled jalapeños blended with oil and some salt, but mine has a couple of extra ingredients.

Here is my version: (makes a little over 1 cup):

8-9 jalapeños
1 clove garlic
1 tbs or so lime juice
1/2 cup or so oil (light tasting oil*)
1/2 tsp salt or to taste

Put jalapeños in a pot of water and boil for about 20 minutes until they are soft. Remove them from the water. Stick the clove of garlic in the hot water for a few minutes, then remove it. This is a trick to take the sharp edge off of the garlic by cooking it very slightly. Allow your jalapeños to cool completely, then using gloves, remove the stems and seeds with your hands.

Add all off the ingredients except oil to a blender. Turn on blender and grind jalapeños for a moment, then slowly drizzle in the oil till you have a beautiful green emulsification.

This sauce thickens a bit once you refrigerate it, so don't make it too thick to start out with. It should still be a bit liquidy when you take it out of the fridge, not a solid.

OPTION: Alternatively, roast your jalapaños under a broiler/on the stove/on the grill. Allow to cool and remove the stems, seeds, and most of the skin. Use the charred jalapeños and proceed with the rest of the recipe. This yields a slightly smoky green sauce flecked with black charred bits for color. It's very delicious.

*I like sunflower oil for this. I am sure El Regio and El Pollo Rico use soybean oil. For heart healthy oils, a light olive oil works, too. But avoid a strongly flavored olive oil or it will be overpowering in the salsa and give it a strange undertaste. 

10 comments:

Cody Jones said...

Thank you!! Could never get the texture right in my jalapeno/oil based salsa, because I wasn't adding in the oil in slowly as I blended the rest. I now understand emulsions.

Cindi G said...

THIS was the salsa I was looking for. Thank you!

Miranda Rommel said...

Thank goodness you postd this as i moved away from Austin, can't remember the name of the taco place i used to get the green sauce from, and never wrote down my OWN recipe for making it! Now i remember, thanks to your recipe. i always put the pepeprs in whole (sans stems, of course) as i liked it to be 'blow your nose off' spicy! :) I also always added garlic. Grapeseed oil would be good :)

Unknown said...

yes!!!

Susan said...

I am going to have to try this. I no longer live in Austin and the green sauce from Pollo Regio is the only green sauce I really like.

jwieck said...

Do you have to take out the seeds and stems?

luckyfatima said...

Yes, as it says in the instructiones, remove the stem and seeds once the chiles are cool.

Jessica Evans said...

I used corn oil and added one pablano pepper, only de-seeded half of them. I also doubled the batch. It was delightful.

Susan said...

This is the green sauce recipe I have been looking for. I LOVE the green sauce from El Regio and we don't live in Austin anymore.

Derek Wilson said...

Perfect recipe. Tastes even better than Pollo Regio. A little less hot and a little more tangy. I used soybean oil and followed the steps exactly.

Now I'm going to experiment with decreasing calories by doing something about the oil ingredient. I'm also going to experiment with not removing the seeds since this step was the most time consuming.