Monday, June 2, 2008

Poha




I have no idea if people in Pakistan eat poha...it is more of an Indian thing. It is some yummy stuff. To make it, you will have to get a bag of poha (powa/powha---sometimes labeled as chewra/chura/cheora...anglicized spellings can be so confusing. In Hindi Cheora is the raw form and poha is the cooked form, but I have seen both terms used interchangeably for both forms of the yummy stuff. It is flattened/beaten rice. Not to be confused with puffed rice (bhel/murmura). Poha is a great breakfast food. It is also had as a snack or at tea time. I prefer it for breakfast. There are lots of regional variations of this dish and you will find all sorts of ingredients stirred in with the poha from tomatoes to cashews to peas to coconut. This recipe was taught to me by my former housekeeper, A. and I always make it this simple way because I really enjoy it like this.



Ingredients:



2 cups poha

2-3 tbs oil

1-2 small potatoes

1 small onion or 1/2 medium onion

1 tsp salt or to taste

1/2 tsp turmeric/haldi

6-8 fresh curry leaves/kari patte

2 fresh green chilies, chopped

2 tbs peanuts, roasted (or fried)

1-2 tbs lime juice (or to taste, I like mine with a lot of lime)

2 tsb fresh chopped cilantro



To prepare:



Soak poha in water for about 2 minutes, then drain in a strainer. Set aside. Chop potatoes into bite sized pieces. I prefer to leave the skin on for texture, flavor, and nutritional value, but generally desis prefer skin off. Slice onion thinly. Fry potatoes and when they are almost fully done and look golden in color, then add in onion and cook till soft and transparent and potatoes are fully cooked. On high flame, add curry leaves and turmeric to the oil and let sizzle for one moment. Stir in strained, wet poha. Toss around for a few moments, adding in salt at this time. When poha has absorbed the turmeric coloring and has softened, it is done. (If it is a bit stiff you can stir fry further after adding a few tablespoons of water till it is light and fluffy. Add in fresh chopped chilies, cilantro, and peanuts, then lime juice. Toss once more. Now serve fresh and hot.

2 comments:

Steph said...

My poha recipe is almost the same (learned in Maharashtra, where I was staying): I don't use potatoes (should try with them once though), and fry the spices first (I use black mustard seeds too). Sometimes replace peanuts with green peas. Oh, and a tsp of sugar. I let it cook a good 5 minutes with the peanuts before adding the poha, and then the lemon/coriander.

Here's a photo :-)

luckyfatima said...

Looks yum. Yes, Maharashtrians do put sugar in their poha. Where were you staying there? I love poha, amazing stuff.